Is there a way to hide the "Share All" option on VideoCenter?
The Video Center sharing functionality is controlled by the recording key features chosen. If you uncheck the "share with all" option it will allow you to select which users/groups the videos recorded via this recording key will be allowed to view.
Thank you Joe, but I should restate my question.
Whether associated with the screen above for the recording key definition, or the form presented for uploading content - I do not want our users (content creators) presented with the option to Share with all. I would prefer the screen that comes up as a default - to be the screen that appears when Share with All is unchecked (and then hide the Share with All option all together). In our scenario, all access will be managed via LDAP, or via iFrame or with access tokens. No video should be made 'public' and want to remove the risk of doing so. Can the form presentation be dictated by a more global option for that setting?
No, there is not. I would really like to make this feature admin/api only (unless it's already ticked for a video) because the number of people who tick it thinking "everyone in the organisation" and not "everyone in the world" is huge. I put in a feature request about it a long time ago but nothing happened. The best you can do is use a script to catch recording keys and/or videos that have it enabled and remove it. It's a massive security problem waiting to happen.
Thank you Stuart. Would you be able to share the script you are using to accomplish that. I'll look for your feature request to flag my interest as well.
I haven't written it yet, but I will when I eventually get around to it, maybe in 2053 when it isn't needed anymore. In the meantime I have a script that basically replicates the SIP dialout page, if that's useful? Doesn't help if people still go to the original though. In our case the new one is much simpler so no-one goes back.
I found a way to hack this. Please stand by. Feature request "in implementation stage"
(to clarify, I am not exploiting any security fault to achieve this)
Done. One day's work. The callout page was the hardest to get right. The end result is pretty flexible.
WHAT IT DOES
- regular users will not normally see the "share with all" option on any video, key generation, key edit or the SIP call out page
- administrators will have full access to the "share with all" option
- "share with all" will be still visible to regular users if it is already ticked on a video they edit, but if they untick and save it they will not see it when they re-open the video
- if an administrator creates a key for a user with "share with all" ticked, the user will be able to see it again when they select that recording key
- on the callout page, the viewer/viewer groups boxes are now always visible even when "share with all" is ticked. You'll just need to live with it I'm afraid.
HOW TO INSTALL OR UNINSTALL
- click "Adminster" >> System Settings >> Logos and messages - Configure
- you have to be joking, right? If you post any bugs in the next few days they stand a strong chance of getting fixed. I will probably lose interest after that.
- I tested it on Chrome, maybe it doesn't work properly on other browsers, but it should
You can actually use this method to customise the Video Center much more heavily if you need to. For example, if you would prefer to keep "share with all" but just change the labelling to a more obvious "public to the world" this would do it:
Or maybe you want to add some suggestions and a help link to "viewer groups":
Or perhaps it isn't obvious on the front page people need to login. This will add a very obvious message to the front page telling users to login:
Another thing I didn't like was that people could go to the "live streams" page before a stream had started, and it wouldn't update to show the stream automatically when it did eventually start. This resolves this problem by causing the live stream index page to refresh every minute:
There is a lot of potential!
Stuart - this is great! Thank you....extremely helpful !!
Retrieving data ...