jwinterbottom

The dark side of video collaboration

Discussion created by jwinterbottom on Dec 12, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 4, 2018 by david

Being the primary point of contact to the outside world for all things video conferencing, I encounter a lot of people using a lot of tools, this week was a rather eye opening experience for me. We were asked to bridge an event being hosted at another institution because their new polycom stuff did not seem to want to connect to anything and on top of that, the site they were connecting with required some obscure dialing method.  In my 15+ years of doing this, I have never seen a dialing string that looked like the following “#@IP@extention#passcode#” (needless to say, that didnt work!). In the end the only thing that worked was the easiest method, Lifesize Cloud. I was also introduced to the Zoom Room Connector feature this week; seriously...has anyone seen a zoom invite with H.323 instructions? It was 3 pages long and had about 10 IP addresses based on what part of the world I was living in, complete with an ip for eastern and western US (common man!).  I encounter a lot of Zoom users in my travels, I met one today after inviting them to a Lifesize Cloud call and they told me that lifesize was much better and asked me where he could purchase it. If anything materializes from that, I want a cut of the commission Lol!!

For as much as I complain about things lifesize needs to improve on, using something that just works makes me forget that there really is a dark side to video collaboration.

Outcomes